Royall House Tour and Brunch
The house was built in 1692, on the site of a house built by Governor John Winthrop in 1632, and was purchased, together with 504 acres of land along the west bank of the Mystic River in what was then Charlestown, in 1734 by Isaac Royall Sr., a slave trader, rum distiller, and wealthy merchant of Antigua. The house has the last remaining slave quarters North of the Mason-Dixon line.
Royall bequeathed several properties to Harvard College to establish a chair in medicine or law, leaving it to Harvard to decide between the two. Harvard chose law. The first Royall Chair – the first law professorship at Harvard – was not filled until 1815, when Isaac Parker undertook to teach part-time.
After the tour, those who choose to will repair to Rosebud’s Diner in Davis Square for brunch.
The cost of the tour is $15 per person. Reservations should be made by September 12th. Space on the tour is limited.